Thanks for considering joining as a volunteer to test new technology methods! There are various ways to measure road usage, and the Hawaii Department of Transportation would very much appreciate your assistance in using, testing, and giving feedback on your experiences and preferences.
As a volunteer, what will my role be?
As a volunteer you will use ONE technology method for nine months (Spring 2020 – Winter 2021). After you set up your account you will drive your car as usual. Periodically you will receive a Road Usage Report showing your miles driven, gas taxes paid, and comparable road usage charge owed. You will be invited to complete three surveys where you can express your preferences and provide feedback — both extremely valuable for decision making about the Road Usage Charge approach. At the end of the testing, if you opted for a device to report your miles, you will return it. In consideration for time devoted to help with this research, volunteers will receive a reward.
What are the technology methods available for testing?
METHOD A: Odofoto
This method involves taking a photo of your car’s odometer through a mobile phone app. The app prompts you (once every three months) to take the photo of the odometer. This method requires a smartphone.
METHOD B: Plug in Device
This method comes with a small device which you plug into your car to record your road usage. The insertion point for the device is inside your car, just below the steering wheel. Nothing else is needed on your part. You will receive a Road Usage Report monthly.
METHOD C: Plug in Device with GPS
Similar in look and function to the above device, but with additional GPS functionality. This GPS function allows for more accurate measure of road usage because it can make a distinction between private roads and city/state roads. The road usage charge applies to city/state roads only.
These methods test and experiment with a new road funding system. The system may change and the technologies experienced may be different in a final system.
How to Volunteer
1) Opt in to receive volunteer invitation by signing up for the email newsletter here.
2) When you see your email invitation to enroll, click the link and follow the instructions set up your account. You will choose your mileage reporting method, and will get set up to report miles accurately.
3) Continue to drive as you usually would; technology will be measuring your road usage.
4) Review your Road Usage Reports every month (or three months if you opt for the Odofoto method).
5) When you receive surveys via email click the link and complete the questionnaires to provide your feedback and be eligible for rewards.
6) At the end of the nine-month testing period, you will return the plug-in device (if this was your chosen method).